Holidays, memories, and seasonal fire hazards abound during the winter months. Since more people use fireplaces, candles, and even kitchen appliances during winter, incidents of residential fires also rise this time of the year. You can keep your Dacula home and family safe by equipping yourself with basic winter fire safety. These simple tips can help you avoid the most common causes of winter fires and help ensure you have a safe and pleasant winter season.
A crackling fire is always lovely on a cozy winter night. But you should be careful when using fireplaces. Ensure these are cleaned often to ensure the flames don’t stray from where they should be. One of the most important safety tips for using a fireplace is to clean it thoroughly before each use. Keep it free from ashes, built-up soot, and debris which can become hazards that throw sparks and cause burns and property damage. Keeping your fireplace clean will ensure that you are safe whenever you warm yourself by the fire.
Aside from cleaning your fireplace, you should check that the damper is working properly and is open before you light your kindling. This will ensure proper ventilation that will prevent smoke from filling your home. When the fire is lit, it should not be left unattended, and children and pets must be safely kept at a distance. Finally, you must take precautions when removing ashes and unburned wood from a fireplace. Hot coals can hide under ashes for up to three days so it’s a good practice to stir ashes carefully and test for heat before you start scooping them out. Annual chimney sweeps are also important to keep creosote deposits from ruining your cozy winter moments.
Like fireplaces, candles are another possible source of residential fires. You should be cautious around open flames. According to the National Fire Protection Association, candles start an average of 7,610 home structure fires yearly. Keep candles away from flammable materials like curtains, houseplants, and home decor items to maintain a low fire risk. Remember to never move a candle that has melted wax pooling in the center, and never -ever- leave a lit candle unattended. If you do this, your candle-lit evenings will always be safe.
It’s no wonder that many of our winter holidays are associated with delicious meals. But all this extra cooking can also make kitchen fires more common in winter. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are more than 189,000 cooking fires in the U.S. each year. These fires are usually caused by food or kitchen appliances left unattended.
To keep kitchen fires from ruining your holidays, ensure you are always in the kitchen when simmering or baking food. A timer will also come in handy to remind you to remove food from the stove or oven when you’re done cooking. Many cooking fires happen on stovetops, so make sure you keep flammable objects like dish towels and other fabrics far from your stove before you turn any burners on. Another safety tip is to immediately clean up spills or overflowing food and use pots and pans in good condition.
If your holiday cooking involves frying, you should be extra careful around hot oil. Boiling water or oil should not be left unattended; you must always have a pot lid nearby. Cover the pot with the lid, turn the heat off, and allow the stove and pot to cool down if the oil starts to flame up.
Follow these simple tips to avoid the season’s common fire hazards. Would you like to learn more safety tips for renters? We can help! Call 678-504-8580 to speak with a professional Dacula property manager today.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.